File A Claim

You can contact the insurance carriers’ 24/7 Claim Support Service to report a claim directly to the insurance company claim department or you may contact Western Gold Insurance.

By reporting your loss directly to the insurance company, they can begin to handle all aspects of your claim and get you the help you need when it matters most.

Please note, when you report a claim the claim will be processed and an adjustor from the carrier will contact you.

Each company has separate rules and thresholds to determine whether a claim is charged to your account. Please be aware that sometimes a charged claim can trigger a surcharge on your policy premium.